EFInA – Enhancing Financial Innovation & Access
EFInA is is a non-profit company funded by DFID (Department for International Development) & Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation with the aim to reduce poverty across Nigeria through financial sector development.
EFInA acts as a catalyst for change, working with partners from fintech start-ups to banks and government agencies, to build financial markets, systems and products that are robust, efficient and, above all, inclusive. We use funding, research and technical expertise to address key market failures and support our partners to improve access to financial services and to drive economic growth.
Through this catalytic innovation fund, cutting-edge research, advocating for enabling inclusive policies and building capacity, EFInA has built a reputation as an “honest broker” amongst both the private and public financial service sectors.
As a rapidly growing organisation in the Financial Industry, we are always seeking to recruit new dynamic, strategic, and committed staff to build on the current achievements and accelerate the impact of financial inclusion in Nigeria.
Employment with EFInA offers exceptional learning and challenging opportunity for the right candidate.
Research Associate Role
The Associate will support Departmental Leads towards the achievement of EFInA’s strategy by conducting analysis, providing strategic planning support, and supporting the delivery of programme activities.
The Associate will conduct an insightful and compelling analysis to provide Departmental Leads with relevant information that can be used to promote financial inclusion in Nigeria. He/she will also support the implementation of financial inclusion strategies through day-to-day project management of EFInA’s activities. The Associate will have foundational business skills, a strong analytical mind and the desire and ability to quickly learn about EFInA’s strategic areas.
EFInA is seeking an Associate to support the Research team.
Reports to: Head of Research (hereafter referred to as the “Line Manager”)
Principal Responsibilities and Accountabilities
The role will include, but not be limited to the following responsibilities and accountabilities:
- Conduct desk research/literature reviews and identify relevant insights for EFInA’s work
- Use statistical analysis tools such as SPSS, Power BI, and Excel to develop research analysis, reports & presentations, in coordination with others on the research team
- Work with the research team on problem-solving and developing insights using large datasets
- Support primary research projects, by assisting with developing survey tools, participating in fieldwork monitoring visits, reviewing project status, reviewing the draft and final reports and datasets, etc.
- Support the team by compiling and sharing relevant resources, including new research insights provided by external parties
- Engage across EFInA departments to support with answering questions related to research and facilitate an understanding of relevant data and insights, particularly research conducted by EFInA such as the Access to Financial Services in Nigeria survey data
- Support the procurement process for vendors engaged by the research department
- Support with monitoring the project budget(s)
- Support tracking and reporting on project status, including contributing to internal and external status reports.
- Keep abreast of relevant developments related to EFInA’s strategic areas and cross-cutting themes, including policy/regulatory changes
- Support the Research team in managing/participating in working groups or other relevant industry bodies, including convening stakeholders, providing logistical support, writing minutes and circulating information to working group members
- Take responsibility for own continuous professional development by proactively identifying and participating in formal/informal learning opportunities
- Contribute input to quarterly reports and provide other status reporting as requested by the Head of Research
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the Line Manager
Job Competencies and Capabilities
Qualifications & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Statistics, Economics, or related field, from a reputable institution
- Minimum of of two years (post-NYSC) work experience
- Experience conducting desk research, handling a variety of information sources and producing relevant reports
- Proven ability to analyse large amount of data
- Experience of working on multiple projects and project management
- Prior experience in financial inclusion and/or the Nigerian financial sector
- Knowledge of socio-economic trends in Nigeria
- Good problem solving and analytical thinking ability
- Effective communication skills
- Some experience conducting research (at least desk research) and analysis
- Experience developing reports and presentations
- Comfortable using Microsoft Excel and other software for professional purposes
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to evaluate and synthesise information
- Proven ability to produce concise, well-structured, and high quality reports and presentations
- Strong project management skills
- Ability to meet tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Works well independently and as part of a team
- Very high level of attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of statistical analytical tools such as SPSS
- Experience conducting primary research
- Experience conducting quantitative analysis
- Capable of working with large datasets
- Experienced conducting analysis using multiple sources of data to identify relevant insights
- Passionate about social issues
- Energetic, proactive approach to work
- High levels of initiative
- Enterprising attitude that is quick to search out alternative solutions to needs or problems
- Committed to delivering high-quality results, with cost-effective use of resources
- Positive, flexible, supportive attitude towards work
- Exhibits helpful behaviour beyond strict job requirements
- Works well under pressure and meets deadlines
- Integrity and high personal ethical standards
Apply for Research Associate
Follow our journey on promoting financial inclusion in Nigeria.