Enhancing Financial Innovation & Access (EFInA) is a financial sector development organization that promotes financial inclusion in Nigeria.
Established in late 2007, our vision is to be the leader in facilitating the emergence of an all-inclusive and growth-promoting financial system. EFInA is funded by the UK Government’s Department for International Development (DFID) and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
Market Making: EFInA aims to promote financial access through market development by catalysing the provision of appropriate services at an affordable price to those who are currently excluded. Holistic Approach: EFInA seeks to impact the market at three levels:
- Micro: the level of service providers, such as deposit money banks, microfinance banks/institutions, non-bank financial institutions, technology providers, mobile telecommunications operators, and payment services providers
- Meso: the financial infrastructure required for the functioning of service providers, such as credit bureaux, technology platforms, auditors, payment systems and connectivity
- Macro: the enabling environment that encompasses legislation, regulation and supervision.
Mutually Reinforcing Core Activities : EFInA’s activities are designed to form a mutually reinforcing “virtuous circle”, where one activity feeds into another to change the way that the market operates. EFInA’s holistic approach to expanding access to financial services for all, especially for low income households is based on the following pillars:
- Research– Providing credible market information on the Nigerian financial sector.
- Innovation – Catalyzing the development of innovative inclusive financial services for the unbanked and under-banked population in Nigeria, through our Innovation Fund.
- Advocacy – Advocating for the development and implementation of policies that create an enabling environment for financial inclusion.
- Capacity building – Through workshops, study tours and fora, we trigger debate and stimulate discussions on pertinent issues in the financial sector and impart knowledge from organisations that have had success in developing innovations and business models that drive financial inclusion.
Follow our journey on promoting financial inclusion in Nigeria.